Sunday, August 22, 2010

A word about monetizing my blog

If you've been paying attention, you'll have noticed a few google ads between my blog posts. This is because I've decided to monetize my blog. This works in two ways: if you happen to find one of those ads interesting and click through to it, and if I include a link to amazon.com and you decide to buy whatever it is I've linked.

I've thought about monetizing my blog for a while now, and it actually took some serious consideration on my part. I've seen some blogs with ads that just look disorganized, and I didn't want that look, but I think these ads are pretty unobtrusive.

Also, I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole monetizing thing. I think there's sort of an assumption about the internet that all of the information should just be free. But of course, you aren't being charged anything to read my blog. And it also seems sort of self-serving to make money off of what is, essentially, a journal.

But, at the same time, no one is obligated to click on the ads, and I think that unless you've been living under a rock and my blog is the first website you've come to (and it's an honor to have you), you all know what those ads are, and have probably been ignoring them without even realizing it, like you do on all of the other sites you visit. Also, if you click through to something I've linked on amazon and decide to buy it, well, my "commission" won't affect the price you pay, so again, no harm done.

If, however, you feel I've misled you with these ads or tricked you into buying something, then I will apologize, but I won't offer a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment