Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shadow DiversShadow Divers by Robert Kurson


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book was very interesting and made me want to do deep sea wreck diving, although I've never actually been scuba diving. I think the book did a very good job of explaining the dangers of deep sea diving, as well as the techniques used to cope with these dangers.

Having lived in New Jersey at the time the wreck was discovered, I vaguely recall the story in the news, so it was very interesting to me to read a complete report of the events. It was also interesting to read about how dangerous it was to be a part of a U-Boat crew, and also that everyone who was in the German military was not pro-Nazi.

There were a couple of editorial changes I would have made to the book. The chapters were of varying lengths, and a few seemed to be just a little too long or detailed or both. Also, occasionally, a character would be referred to by their first name and then just a few paragraphs later by their last name...it was a bit inconsistent.

Overall, this is a tremendous read, which is a huge compliment from me, since I don't normally read non-fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment