Thursday, April 8, 2010

Journaling...about what I eat

I have been getting fat. Don't panic! (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway!) The verb tense is the important thing. I'm not fat. It's just that all of my pants (and not just my skinny jeans) have been feeling a little too tight. The "getting" bit has actually been going on for a while.

In the early fall of 2008, I developed plantar fasciitis, which meant no more running. Up until that point, I had been running 15-20 miles a week, so this created a serious lack of calorie burnage. I was still exercising, and figured that the very gradual climb of the scale would be undone when I could resume running. Which happened in late 2009. Slowly, as I did not want to risk re-injury.

The more alarming bit happened in February 2010, when I somehow gained four pounds in one month! I still cannot figure it out. I was exercising, eating lots of fruits and veggies. I didn't even get a giant box of Valentine's candy. It was unnerving.

But I was going to Europe (yes, I will blog about this!), so I had other things to think about. When I got back, I decided, I'd start a food journal. Apparently this often helps people lose weight for two reasons. First it makes them accountable for everything they put in their mouth, and second, it helps people realize what their "problem" foods are. I think you're supposed to write down what you eat, what time it is, what your mood is, and how many calories are in the food. Ugh. That seems like a lot of work, so I'm just doing the time and food bit.

So far my journal is painfully dull. Every morning between 5 am and 6 am I eat a bowl of cereal, a glass of orange juice, and a cup of tea. Every day at work I have two pieces of fruit, a container of yogurt, and some pretzels as my snacks. Lunch and dinner vary, but I'm sure over time it will read more like, Monday: spaghetti, Tuesday: stir-fry, Wednesday: fajitas...

I'm guessing it's the weekends that are my downfall. How could someone possibly get fat eating fruit and yogurt? (And it's really not that many pretzels.)

So, as dull as it is, from time to time, I'll let you know of any random dietary changes I make, such as if I decided to go gluten-free or become a vegetarian. And if anyone else has just come to the terrifying realization that bikini season starts, like, OMG, tomorrow!, I feel your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment