Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Sometimes I have trouble giving stars to books. This book was YA, so obviously it wasn't good the way Water for Elephants was good, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed this book in the series. This series isn't as intense as Harry Potter, and the characters are slightly less dimensional, but are still really interesting. I felt like, I wish I knew these kids when I was a teenager.



In this book, Percy Jackson basically has to save the world by battling monsters and traveling through Daedalus's labyrinth to prevent...good lord, I just realized this plot makes no sense. (Maybe that's why I liked it). Okay, the original goal was to get Ariadne's string so that evil Luke can't get it, and then navigate to Camp Half-Blood and then to Olympus. Right, but see, in the end Luke gets to Daedalus first, gets Ariadne's string, and as it turns out, it doesn't really matter.



I think the idea was that if Percy got the string first, then Luke wouldn't be able to get his army past the fortifications at Camp Half-Blood. Except, I can't really remember why attacking the camp would have been useful.



Also, in this book, Percy has his first kiss, and I actually had to go back and read this bit twice because it was not handled with the melodrama that I would have given it.



At any rate, this whole series is totally amusing and enjoyable reading, especially if you need a break from complicated plots and are looking to read something where you can let your mind just drift along.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. The books are exactly that, enjoyable reading. Just don't ever watch the movies. They're absolutely terrible and don't follow ANYTHING from the book except the name Percy Jackson. I was cringing five minutes into the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the first movie, and I agree, it was awful! Percy is a totally likeable kid in the books and a jackass in the movies. And why did they have to try to make the movies sexy? He's supposed to be 14!

    ReplyDelete