Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

Ok, I still can't figure out what happened to my HTML from goodreads.  Grrr...so annoying!

I really like Jodi Picoult, but I didn't think this was her best work.

I like how the book is told from different perspectives, but I thought it was awkward the way a few of the perspectives were introduced after you were about halfway through the book. That made the timing a little weird. And it's a little gimmicky to have different perspectives in different fonts. I mean, we all manage with A Song of Ice and Fire series with different perspectives over several different books (AND with gaps of about 37 years between publications), and we're still all good.

Additionally, and slight spoiler alert: the son is gay. You find that out pretty early on, and it's implied that this is the source of a massive disagreement between him and his father, but the father is in a coma the entire book, so the tension is a little contrived. It would have been better if the father woke up from his coma with massive brain damage or something and he and his kids had to relearn who each other was...this would have more tension because the kids would remember things that the dad wouldn't and that would shade the conversations/interactions/etc.

I gave it four stars anyway because I couldn't put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment