Sunday, August 19, 2012


The Vow: True Events that Inspired the MovieThe Vow: True Events that Inspired the Movie by Kim Carpenter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I thought the movie looked ridiculously cheesy until I read that it was based on a true story. Then I was compelled (which is perhaps the most intelligent sounding over-used word ever) to read the book. I am a sucker for stories of human survival.

The Carpenters are very religious people. Very religious people. I admire people who feel their faith so strongly, but I don't personally share their convictions. So, while it was amazing to read about how Krickitt survived this terrible car accident, it weird for me to read so much about God.

It's odd how terrible circumstances can change the definition of "lucky." Obviously, the entire accident was unlucky, but it would have been even unluckier if circumstances were different. Kim had been driving, but felt ill, and got in the back seat. If he, not Krickitt had been driving at the time of the crash, he would have died on impact because he is so much bigger than she is. She fit in the small space of the crushed roof, and he would not have. Also, they were very lucky that people were on the scene so quickly. We all know that in serious accidents, the time it takes for first responders to arrive at the scene can impact not only the survival of the victims, but also the quality of life that they'll regain afterwards.

Sometimes, it's the strangest things that make you cry. The life-flight nurses stated that the credit for Krickitt's recovery belong to the EMTs first on the scene and the doctors and nurses at the first hospital Krickitt was taken to. The commented that they "just flew as fast as we could" to get her to Albuquerque. I don't know why that moved me so much, but it did.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment