Monday, September 2, 2013

Second GlanceSecond Glance by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my favorite Jodi Picoult, although now, having read it for the second time years after reading it a first time, I might downgrade my rating to 4 stars; however I'm going to leave it at 5 stars in the spirit of how I felt about it the first time I read it.

In a departure from her more law-based works, this is a ghost story that deals with the Vermont eugenics project, which actually served as inspiration for Hitler.

The two criticisms I have, after re-reading it, are that Picoult can sometimes be overly descriptive (usually I love her descriptions, but every now and then there was a paragraph or two where I felt like there were too many adjectives), and two female characters, Meredith and Shelby, were interchangeable. Meredith and Shelby are both single moms, and their kids are more important to the story line than they are. I felt like they were very much the same person, to the point where I would mix up who lived where, who was which kid's mother, and who did what for a living.

Honestly, though, I still really enjoyed this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment