Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Where'd You Go, BernadetteWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Here's your SAT word for the day: this novel is, for the most part, epistolary (a series of letters/documents). This is always an interesting approach to a novel, but I think it works well here, where things happen to many characters simultaneously, but where using different POV chapters would get repetitive.

This book was really entertaining. Bernadette is this brilliant, eccentric woman. As I was reading this book, I totally thought, I want to know her! (Of course, she's a bit of a recluse, so she's not likely to want to know me).

Having lived in the Pacific Northwest, it was also entertaining listening to her complain about the people in Seattle.

*Spoiler Alert* the bit about the Russian Mafia was a little unnecessary, but not so much so that it was distracting.

This novel wraps up nicely, if in a somewhat predictable way. All in all, though, this book was a lot of fun to read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment