Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What did I think of The Great Gatsby? When I finished reading it, I was left with a swirl of emotions in my gut. I don't feel like I know quite enough about Gatsby to consider him "great," but what was revealed to the reader definitely made him interesting.




One line in particular struck me as the defining theme of the story: But there was Jordan beside me, who, unlike Daisy, was too wise ever to carry well-forgotten dreams from age to age."




Daisy, in my opinion, isn't worth the effort Gatsby puts into actions to impress her, but then again, I don't think a man ever fell in love with me because of my voice, which is apparently the only mesmerizing thing about her. Fitzgerald tells us that Daisy is incredible, but he doesn't show us how. Nick seems like a reasonable guy, but even he is a bit prejudiced towards Daisy.




I was saddened at the end of the story, and feeling a sort of injustice, but at the same time, I was left wondering, what happened next, and what did Gatsby really do? Who was he, really? And I was frustrated, too, because Tom seemed like a regular jerk, and he got away with it, but jerks so often do, don't they?




On a more upbeat note, Fitzgerald's use of language never ceases to amaze me, and I wonder if I ever tried to write like that, would it sound sincere, or would it sound like I had strung bits and pieces of language of truly great writers together in a meager attempt to come up with something new. If nothing else, Fitzgerald makes me think.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment