Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book was by far, the best of the series. It was so much fun to read! It is, of course, a YA book, so if you're not into that, then you probably won't like this. Before reading this book, I had decided that this was going to be my last Riordan YA book, but after reading it, I think I might check out his other series. Of course, this is not helping me shrink my reading list!




I think what made this book so much fun is that Percy matured the most in this book. He makes some hard decisions, he is torn between two girls that he likes, and he saves the world! The awkwardness he feels when he realizes his feelings for a friend are more than just friendly are totally relatable, at least to me. I'm sure teenagers would roll their eyes at me, but I think our society oversexes our youth by confusing physical maturity with emotional maturity. Anyway, I won't go off on that tangent here, but I found the relationships to be refreshingly appropriate.




Of course, the humor in the book is also delightful. For example, Tyson, Percy's Cyclops half-brother uses "Peanut Butter" as a battle cry. Whatever works, right? I also like how the books are loosely educational. They involve bits of geography, and some history of the deities of Ancient Rome. I'm not purporting that these should be substitutes for geography or history texts, but as starting ground to get young minds thinking, these ideas are presented in a fun way.




Overall, it was a very enjoyable read!






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment