Friday, August 12, 2011

I can't believe it took me this long to read The Hunger Games!

The Hunger GamesThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


First, I have to make a confession: I listened to this book on CD; I didn't actually read it. This is important to note because this made the young adult aspects of the book really young adult-y, whereas if I had read the book, I would have skimmed past them and probably not mentioned them at all in this reivew.


That having been said, The Hunger Games is a totally engaging story of a girl forced into an arena and how she survives (I don't consider this to be a spoiler, as this is the first book in a trilogy). It was reminiscent of the movies The Running Man and Gladiator, but with a female hero and more humanity to the story line.


It was also refreshing to read a book that centers on teenagers that doesn't contain vampires, or focus on sex and drugs, or make teenage girls out to be ditzy fasion- and boy-crazed individuals.


The ending is killing me, and I can't wait to read Catching Fire!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment